The world of Business affects all of us and influences our daily lives greatly. The study of IGCSE Business introduces students to a wide range of business activities, processes and operations. Students explore how business ideas are created and developed. In addition, the study of business helps students to develop as commercially minded and enterprising individuals who think critically; students who are able to draw on business information and evidence to develop arguments and make justified decisions.
In Years 10 and 11 students follow the Edexcel International GCSE Business Specification, examining a wide range of business concepts and theory including;
1 – Business activity and influences on business-covering the various objectives of a business, changing business environments and the criteria for judging success. The focus is on the importance of having clear business objectives and how the business environment provides opportunities for, and imposes constraints on, the pursuit of these objectives.
2 – People in business-looking at people in organisations, focusing on their roles, relationships and management in business.
3 – Business finance-exploring the use of accounting and financial information as an aid to decision making.
4 – Marketing-focusing on identifying and satisfying customer needs in a changing and competitive international environment.
5 – Business operations-examining the way organisations use and manage resources to produce goods and services.
Why study Business at XIC?
The Business courses at Xabia International College offer students the opportunity to study the fast changing world of Business; exposing them to current global developments and the global nature of business. Large and small businesses are studied; using international, national and regional business examples. In addition, students can also study businesses that are found in and around the dynamic and thriving town of Javea and the Costa Blanca region.
IGCSE Business helps pupils to develop an understanding of the role of business in every day activities and its influence on the wider economy.
Specifically the study of Business helps students to:
- develop an interest in and enthusiasm for the study of business
- develop an understanding of business concepts, business terminology, business objectives and the integrated nature of business activity
- understand how the main types of business are organised, financed and operated
- develop and apply knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary business issues in a wide range of businesses from small enterprises to large multinationals and businesses operating in local, national and global context
- develop critical-thinking and enquiry skills to distinguish between facts and opinion, calculating, interpreting and evaluating business data, to help build arguments and make informed judgements
- develop an understanding of the dynamics of business activity and the related considerations of ethics and sustainability for global businesses.
IGCSE Business is an ideal route of progression into A Level business and vocational studies.